Free Paleo Recipe #4
I have a hard time getting my veggies in. I typically don’t enjoy them. And the ones I truly love are a bit too high in carbs for leaning out. It doesn’t matter if you’re Paleo or not, you need to get the veggies in. I’m excited I made up an insanely easy way to get my veggies in with this super easy salsa recipe. Most folks don’t know how quick it is to make fresh salsa, but its super easy and pretty freakin’ amazing. And of course completely Paleo friendly.
Step 1 | Quick Salsa
- 5 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 bell pepper, de-seeded (orange gives a sweeter flavor, green gives more of a garden earthy flavor)
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 jalapeño peppers (de-seed if you want to tame the heat, but I love the heat)
- 1 small lime
- 10 sprigs cilantro (cut bottom of stems off where no leaves grow)
- 1/4 medium white onion
- 2 tsp sea salt
Next, throw all these ingredients into a blender – I use my favorite kitchen toy, the Vitamix. You can use any blender, if its not as powerful as the Vitamix you may need to blend a little longer.
Blend til it looks like a salsa. The less you blend, the chunkier it is. Careful not to blend too long, or else your salsa liquifies. I blended mine in the Vitamix for around 10-15 seconds on speed 10, never using the “high” switch. You may not even want to go to 10, start low, you can always pulse higher if you want.
Taste it now! does it need more salt? More garlic? Your deal, it’s what you like.
Step 2 | Highly Recommended
This is good salsa, but it may be a little earthy and watery for your taste. Lets crank it up a notch.
- Pour the salsa into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a medium-low and reduce for 1-2 hours. You will know if its done by testing if it tastes incredible (does it need salt, could it concentrate more?) and if its at a thickness you like.
You can refrigerate any leftovers. Good stuff, eh? If you try it, let me know what you think and if you made any modifications by leaving a comment below.